Expert Tooth Extraction – Auckland
There are several reasons why you may need to have a tooth removed: infection, wisdom teeth paying havoc, gum disease, tooth decay and overcrowding to name a few. But the most common reason is when a tooth is too badly damaged by decay or trauma to be saved or repaired.
The tooth extraction process
It is important that we know your medical history prior to performing any procedures. This is because some conditions can put you at risk of infection and may require a course of antibiotics before treatment. Certain medications can also increase the amount of bleeding and complicate the extraction.
Before any tooth extraction can take place, we will need to take an x-ray of the tooth, this will help us plan the best way to carry out treatment. Once this is done, we apply numbing gel to lessen any discomfort that the injection may cause. We then use a local anaesthetic to numb the area surrounding the tooth. The dentist will then check to ensure you are completely numb before continuing. You should not feel any pain after this process, only pressure. It is important that you can distinguish between the two. If you do feel any pain, we can stop and administer more anaesthetic.
After the tooth is removed the dentist will pack the socket with a gauze pad and ask you to bite down as applying pressure will help stop the bleeding.
Tooth extraction – after care and recovery
We will provide you with instructions to care for the tooth extraction site. This will include instructions for helping it heal quickly and minimise discomfort, including:
- Use painkillers as prescribed to control pain
- Do not undertake strenuous activity for at least 24 hours after the procedure
- Avoid excessive or vigorous rinsing and spitting to prevent the socket clot from dislodging
- Eat soft foods such as soup and yoghurt and add harder consistency foods as the site of the removal heals
- Do not drink from a straw for at least 24 hours as the suction can dislodge the clot
- Do not smoke as this will affect the healing process.
Word For It…
Dusan and Sonya are by far the best dentists I have ever had do work on my teeth including NZ as well as America. They genuinely care about their customers and the quality of work they do. I would recommend them to anyone.